Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Artist Feature: 'The Journamusician' - Sef Kombo Meets Mzee



Mzee needed an introduction in the international music arena and his single 'Mahuwelele' took the house world by storm and made a name for the then, unknown South African musician, from Bushbuckridge, Mpumalanga Province. Mzilikazi wa Afrika which is his real name is a the multi-international award winning investigative journalist, of recent times though, he has been exchanging his pen for a microphone and hoping to scoop more awards as a musician, song writer and producer. I sat down with him to find out more...

SK: How You doing Sir? It’s a pleasure to have a chat!
MZ: I’m great and no, thank you very much for having me. I am very appreciative!

SK: How did you get involved with music?
MZ: I got into music because my love for it and I was very interested in exploring more African sound. Listening to different genres across the continent, like Nigeria’s Fela Anikulapo Kuti, Salif Keita from Mali, Youssou N'Dour from Senegal and a whole other load of African musicians. I guess I got hooked and started experimenting with those sounds by on a House tip.

SK: How long have you been involved in music?
MZ: I wrote my first song when I was 11 years old, so it's been a while!! Most of the time I have spent researching about music, everything I know I taught myself. Analysing music, getting books about music and writing songs here and there and asking advise from various people to find if my ideas were working or not.

SK: Your music is very individual then?
MZ: Yeah, that's why I like my songs, although it's house, my style is unique when 'Mahuwelele' came out people where amazed, my style is completely different from most people, it's although its close to others.. It’s still completely different to most doing house. I basically think I'm a musician who is really capturing African history in a modern way but through music.

SK: How Would You Describe Your Sound?
MZ: My sound is like a deep African house sound with unique and catchy African chants and vocals

SK: Do you go out on the streets and try and capture unique sample and input them into your music?
MZ: No, I normally just prepare vocals and samples in the studio. I collaborate with different artist and bring them to the studio to create these samples.

SK: So what do you use to create your music?
MZ: I use Apple Mac, with Logic, Reason and Hypersonic. My main tool is Logic but I use Reason a lot to create the drums using my own samples.

SK: How do people feel about your music?
MZ: People are loving it, the support has been nothing short of amazing. They have been going crazy since the first track 'Mahuwelele' and are still giving the same level of love to tracks from my album entitled 'Tamanini'

SK: Talk to us about the Umoja / Flute Song EP how was that created?
MZ: For 'Umoja' I did a song and I was in search for vocal, I remember seeing Kampi Moto who is a friend and mentor of mine who unfortunately has passed away at 66 years old. I drove to his house and said that I felt his voice would be a great for the song I made, so as we was driving back to my studio and listening to the song, I put forward the idea that I had and we starting writing the lyrics in the car and within say 15 minutes the vocals were done and the rest is history as they say!!



SK: Yeah, I'm a big fan of both cuts of the EP but why did you bring out a double EP?
MZ: The Flute Song, is pretty old and unfortunately there were delays regarding some people were suppose to remix it, one of the major delays was Osunlade. We kept on waiting on his remix to be delivered but it never came, eventually Casamena said no lets just bring out the track and then it was decided to put together 'Umoja' & 'The Flute Song' as one EP

SK: Ok I understand! So in regards to Casamena who deals with Ocha records, how did you guys come together to release the two EPs you have released on that label?
MZ: Well I sent a couple of DJs and Producers a copy of 'Mahuwelele' and then Ocha records got hold of it and when they heard it, they contacted me immediately and offered me a deal I just couldn't refuse!!

SK: How you feel about the South African scene and that it's getting a lot of attention in other continents?
MZ: You know if have legendary people like Louis Vega and Boddhi Satva saying South Africa is on point, it means the we are definitely on point and we are definitely doing good stuff that people from other continents are appreciating and enjoying a lot.

SK: So If someone came over to South Africa, where is the best place to hear the best of the Afro House sound?
MZ: It depends, if your looking for Deep House you go Pretoria, Cape Town is the best for Electro/Techno vibe. if your looking for catchy sounds you go Durban, House with more tribal and chant you go Limpopo. Every town in South Africa has got it's own flavour of House.

SK: Have you had any experiences of playing outside of South Africa?
MZ: Well, I was suppose to be playing in Miami for the WMC and also New York and DC but unfortunately due to a project I am undertaking as a journalist which if your didn't know is my profession, I am unable to honour those commitments.

SK: Ok, journalist by day and musician by night! That’s interesting, almost like leading a double life, how you finding that?
MZ: I mean it's great! I really enjoy it but at the same time you do always need something to push you forward, help you to survive and pay your bills and stuff.



SK: So talk to us about your album 'Tamanini'
MZ: The album is a double CD with 31 songs, the album is designed in a way so for every day in the month you have a sing to listen to, I'm very excited about it, it's doing very well at the moment and there is videos out. Yeah! It's just very exciting, people are loving it... That's all I can say! I'm loving it!!

SK: So where do you see yourself in the next 2 years?
MZ: I think for the next two years I would like to build up my label. I've signed a 'A Team' who individually have their own projects coming out. For myself I wont be releasing any studio albums this year although I will release some EPs but I will be pushing all the stuff from the members of the 'A Team'

SK: So the label is called 'A Team'?
MZ: No it's actually Bomba Recordz

SK: So what is the aim of Bomba Recordz?
MZ: The aim is for the record label is to be one of those independent labels which is a pioneer for House music. We do nothing else but House on this label, we go out there and look for talent, get them on board and push them. It's like a starting platform for these talents.

SK: Who have you been working with recently and who would you like to work with?
MZ: I was in Mozambique recently, working with an amazing musician by the name of Khalifa he is called the 'Salif Keita of Mozambique' I did a track with him with was a tribute to the victims of the earthquake in Haiti. I working a few others also. My dream is to do a couple of songs with Tracey Chapman. I love would to have her voice on a house tune. Looking at other Africa musicians, I would love to work with Salif Keita and Youssou N'Dour

SK: Producers like Black Coffee, Culoe de Song & Rowick Deep with their success are starting to put out music videos which seem to visually display the imagination of the music they create, is that something that you would look to do?
MZ: I have a music video out already 'Zvinosiririsa' is being played on TV music stations over here, which is amazing and I will be shooting the next video for Umoja very soon!

SK: Tell us something interesting about you!
MZ: I don't know!! I'm just this cat who is simply addicted to music, we like twins you can't separate us!



SK: So Music or Journalism??!
MZ: Music!
SK: Are you sure??
MZ: I am definitely sure, music is in my blood. Journalism is just a profession; I've done it all, for now there really aren’t any challenges for me.

SK: How do you feel about AfrodesiaMP3 and it's growth?
MZ: It's really amazing, so many talents have been exposed through it and young up and coming producers have an opportunity to be known through it. I wish they could grow to the same level as Traxsource and iTunes because they doing a very wonderful job.

SK: The World Cup coming to your country, how you feel about that?
MZ: It's the best feeling but on the musical side of things, it's an unfortunate situation to see the Official World Cup album will be given to musicians from Europe and the States. For me, 100% the entire album should of been given to African musicians because we also have talent, we can also show the world that we can do it and the world can appreciate what we are doing.

SK: What's your favourite track at the moment?
MZ: Ah! I love all 31 songs on my album; if I didn't then I guess I wouldn't release them. Everyday when I listen, I try to listen to a different song and when I listen to each song I think 'Wow! Is this song really on my album'

SK: So apart from yourself, which producers would you advice to take a look at?
MZ: The same guys who I work with on my album, Black Coffee, Culoe Song, Boddhi Satva and my crew the 'A Team' because those guys are really talented. One of my personal favourite is Louis Vega

SK: Where is the dream place that you would like to DJ?
MZ: Without doubt 2011 I will be at WMC!!

SK: Thanks for chatting to us Mzee!!
MZ: Thanks dude!!


Check out Mzee's Current Music Video - 'Zvinosiririsa' ft Oluhle & the A Team



LINKS:

Buy Mzee's Album Tamanini (South Africa Only) Here

Listen & Buy Mahuwelele Here

Listen & Buy Umoja/The Flute Song EP Here

His entire cataloge of released music on AfrodesiaMP3 Here

Check Out Also Bomba Recordz Here

No comments: